This was trickier than first anticipated, but at the same time, doing it wasnt as bad as anticipating having to do it... does that even make sense?...i dont think it does.
But ANYWAY...
For my application I had to get references from two academics. I chose the professors of the two modules I was ace'n so I knew I was fairly sorted. I'd recommend doing the same...
The personal statement took ages to put together, mainly because I wasnt sure what was expected in it and also because American forms like this can be very arsey... they expect you to really show off and push your achievements and goals etc. My uncle is a college professor so I was able to send my draft to him and he corrected it for me and gave me a few hints about how to edit it. The only other thing that I needed was my Leaving cert results and to choose which university.
It had to be University of California as number one! I put San Jose State (in San Francisco) as my second and University of Connecticut was third but I was lucky enough to be nominated to apply for university of california.
Back to the drawing board with a brand new application. Last one was for UCD this one was for California. I ended up in hospital for the weeks running up to the application deadline so my friends majorly helped me out here (for which i am v.v.v grateful!)
I basically just remodelled the personal statement talking only of my three choice UC campuses (Berkeley as number one, San Diego as number two, and Santa Barbara as number three... UCLA didnt appeal to me at all!)
I also had to do loads of research into classes and whether or not they would offer equivalents to the classes here which basically Padhraic my boyfriend did ALL the work or... cudos padhraic!! xx He had to set up meetings with professors and everything to have the class schedules okay'd and everything. Very stressful for me to be stuck in bed and not able to do anything!!
Another thing I had to get was a financial form saying i was good for $20,000 ... which scared the crap out of me. My dad sorted that one out... But i'll be paying for some of it myself.
Then it was a case of getting it all in on time and hoping for the best!!!
The hardest thing was waiting because I really wanted to tell people my plans but was afraid to incase it all fell through. It got to the stage though that I really couldnt imagine spending third year in Ireland so I really was hoping I would be accepted!
A few months later I got an email saying I had got my second choice, UCSD, which at first I was a little disappointed about, because I had my heart set on Berkeley, but now I am delighted... I think I will enjoy San Diego much more! From there on out it was v.stressful. I had to sort out housing, flights, visa, etc etc but that can go in the next blog...
If anyone reading this is thinking of applying for an exchange dont be put off by all the organisation. It isnt as scary as it sounds, its completely do-able, go for it!
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment